Half million dollars found after traffic stop | Crime
A traffic stop led to the arrest of a New York man carrying more than half a million dollars in cash.
According to the Sumter Sheriff’s Office, around 9:34 a.m., on May 10, deputies stopped a Dodge Charger with a Florida license plate near mile marker 140 of I-95.
Deputies say the driver was identified as Danilo Chambers of Brooklyn, New York.
During the stop, Chambers' behavior was considered suspicious, so deputies called for a K9 unit to do a smell search of the car, the report stated. Deputies say the K9 indicated a positive find at the trunk and passenger side door.
After a search of the vehicle, a large suitcase filled with a large amount of U.S. currency, amounting to $587,603 was uncovered, the report stated.
Deputies say Chambers was charged with money laundering and the cash was turned over to the Drug Enforcement Administration.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- To men spending decades in prison, hope walks on 4 paws
- Shelter overwhelmed after taking in 22 puppies, 10 still available for adoption
- For second straight year, gas prices cheapest in SC
- Lee County sheriff's deputy injured in shootout released from hospital
- Man accused of shooting deputies was out of jail on bond