Mom arrested after drugs found in newborn child | Crime
SUMTER, SC (WIS) – A Sumter County mom has been arrested after investigators say her newborn child tested positive for methamphetamines.
Investigators say Jessica Sumner gave birth to the baby girl on August 9th. DSS notified the sheriff’s office that the child tested positive for methamphetamines and opiates.
Investigators believe she exposed the baby to the drugs prior to the child’s birth.
Sumner was arrested on Saturday and has been charged with unlawful neglect towards a child. Her bond was set at $7,000 and she has since been released.
There is no word on the condition of the child at this time.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- To men spending decades in prison, hope walks on 4 paws
- Shelter overwhelmed after taking in 22 puppies, 10 still available for adoption
- For second straight year, gas prices cheapest in SC
- Lee County sheriff's deputy injured in shootout released from hospital
- Man accused of shooting deputies was out of jail on bond