The South Carolina Forestry Commission To Offer A Prescribed Burning Certification Class | Environment
Land managers who conduct outdoor burning can reduce their liability by becoming Certified Prescribed Fire Managers. The South Carolina Forestry Commission has scheduled three training sessions statewide:
- October 24 Columbia
- November 8 Walterboro
- December 1 Columbia
The Forestry Commission training director, Leslie Woodham, emphasizes that the Certified Prescribed Fire Manger course is NOT a beginner’s course in prescribed burning. “This is advanced training in smoke management and associated legal issues,” Woodham said.
The cost of the course is $50.00 and applications are processed on a first come, first served basis. The deadline for registration is three weeks prior to each scheduled class.
Achieving certification provides burners with limited liability protection under state law. Requirements include passing a written test, documenting one’s burning experience, and agreeing to conduct all burning according to standards set forth in the SC Prescribed Fire Act.
To register for any session, contact Leslie Woodham at (803) 896-8809 or visit www.trees.sc.gov.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- To men spending decades in prison, hope walks on 4 paws
- Shelter overwhelmed after taking in 22 puppies, 10 still available for adoption
- For second straight year, gas prices cheapest in SC
- Lee County sheriff's deputy injured in shootout released from hospital
- Man accused of shooting deputies was out of jail on bond