South Carolina ranks in top ten for Thanksgiving cooking fires | Environment
South Carolina made the top ten list of states for Thanksgiving cooking fires, according State Farm claims data.
In a news release, South Carolina ranks at number ten for states that have more cooking fires occur on Thanksgiving than any other day of the year.
Grease and cooking-related claims more than double on Thanksgiving Day compared to an average day in November, according to State Farm.
State Farm says the top 10 states for grease and cooking-related claims on Thanksgiving Day for the past five years (2007-2011) are:
3. New York
10. South Carolina
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) says deep fryer fires result in more than $15 million in property damage each year and hot oil splatter can cause serious burns to an adult or life threatening injuries to a child.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- To men spending decades in prison, hope walks on 4 paws
- Shelter overwhelmed after taking in 22 puppies, 10 still available for adoption
- For second straight year, gas prices cheapest in SC
- Lee County sheriff's deputy injured in shootout released from hospital
- Man accused of shooting deputies was out of jail on bond