Tax-free weekend coming up | Events
South Carolina's 12th annual Sales Tax Holiday weekend will begin Friday, August 5, 2011 at 12:01 a.m. and will continue through the weekend until Sunday, August 7, 2011 at midnight.
During this popular three-day tax free weekend, the 6% state sales and use tax and any applicable local option taxes will be lifted on traditional back-to-school items. Such items include clothing, clothing accessories, shoes, school supplies, computers, printers, blankets, bedspreads and linens, bath cloths, bath towels, bath rugs and mats, shower curtains, pillows and pillow cases.
The sales tax holiday does not apply to sales of jewelry, cosmetics, eyewear, wallets, watches, rental of clothing or shoes, furniture, items for use in a business or items placed on layaway.
The popularity of the Sales Tax Holiday weekend has made it the third busiest shopping period of the year, surpassed only by the weekend after Thanksgiving and the weekend before Christmas.
For more information about the Sales Tax Holiday, visit www.sctax.org under the "What's New" section.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- To men spending decades in prison, hope walks on 4 paws
- Shelter overwhelmed after taking in 22 puppies, 10 still available for adoption
- For second straight year, gas prices cheapest in SC
- Lee County sheriff's deputy injured in shootout released from hospital
- Man accused of shooting deputies was out of jail on bond