Local lawyer announces run for state Senate seat | News
A local Sumter attorney has announced his run for South Carolina Senate District 35.
34-year-old Thomas McElveen, a partner and practicing attorney with the Bryan Law Firm and son of Sumter Mayor Joe McElveen, announced his candidacy for South Carolina Senate District 35 at the Swan Lake Iris Gardens on Tuesday.
Job creation and economic development, improving the quality of education and comprehensive tax reform are three main issues McElveen says he wants to focus on.
According to a press release, parts of Sumter, Lee, Kershaw and Richland counties all make up District 35.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- To men spending decades in prison, hope walks on 4 paws
- Shelter overwhelmed after taking in 22 puppies, 10 still available for adoption
- For second straight year, gas prices cheapest in SC
- Lee County sheriff's deputy injured in shootout released from hospital
- Man accused of shooting deputies was out of jail on bond