Candidate for sheriff booked on assault charges | News
ATLANTIC BEACH, SC (WMBF) - Former town manager for Atlantic Beach and candidate for Sumter County Sheriff, Benny Webb, was arrested Thursday on 3rd degree assault and battery charges according to SLED officials.
SLED agents arrested 54-year-old Benny Webb Thursday, and according to the J. Reuben Long Detention Center's Website, Webb posted bond and was released just before 4:30 that afternoon.
The warrant for Webb's arrest says he physically grabbed and threatened another man in the Atlantic Beach Town Hall earlier this year, an incident witnessed by several and recorded by the victim.
Atlantic Beach Town Councilman Jake Evans said he wishes Webb the best, but does not condone the actions leading to the arrest.
"I lose my temper from time to time," Evans explained. "But as a public official, you have to refrain from such comments, and if you slip up, you definitely can't be above offering an apology."
Copyright 2012 WMBF News. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- To men spending decades in prison, hope walks on 4 paws
- Shelter overwhelmed after taking in 22 puppies, 10 still available for adoption
- For second straight year, gas prices cheapest in SC
- Lee County sheriff's deputy injured in shootout released from hospital
- Man accused of shooting deputies was out of jail on bond