72-year-old charged with beating, killing girlfriend | News
SUMTER, SC (WIS)- A 72-year-old Sumter man was arrested and charged with murder after deputies officers found a woman beaten to death with a baseball bat.
Sumter County Sheriff's Office deputies were called out to a home on Radical Road on Tuesday. Upon arrival, officers found the body of 54-year-old Joanne Smiley on the floor of the living room.
A witness at the scene told officers that Smiley's boyfriend, Willie Pressley, killed her.
After collecting evidence from the scene and statements from witnesses, Pressley was arrested and taken to the Sumter-Lee Regional Detention Center.
A preliminary investigation indicates the cause of death to be blunt force trauma throughout the body. Investigators believe a baseball bat found near the scene was the murder weapon.
Deputies are not sure what prompted the incident.
The case remains under investigation.
Copyright 2012 WIS. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- To men spending decades in prison, hope walks on 4 paws
- Shelter overwhelmed after taking in 22 puppies, 10 still available for adoption
- For second straight year, gas prices cheapest in SC
- Lee County sheriff's deputy injured in shootout released from hospital
- Man accused of shooting deputies was out of jail on bond