Suspect arrested within 24 hours of murder | News
SUMTER, SC (WIS)- Sumter Police have arrested a man wanted in a deadly shooting early Saturday.
Law enforcement officials say 28-year-old Jarmon Martin of Sumter was arrested at about 6 p.m. Saturday at a home on Hanna Street and charged with the murder of Jerry Ratchford.
Just before 1 a.m. Saturday, Sumter Police were called to a home in the 600 block of Omarest Drive for a report of a shooting. When they arrived, they found 47-year-old Ratchford lying in the yard.
Investigators say Ratchford was at a party at the home when Martin approached him and they argued. They say Martin pulled a handgun and shot Ratchford several times in the chest, then ran away.
Ratchford was taken to Toumey Regional Medical Center, but he was transferred to Palmetto Health Richland where he died.
Copyright 2012 WIS. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- To men spending decades in prison, hope walks on 4 paws
- Shelter overwhelmed after taking in 22 puppies, 10 still available for adoption
- For second straight year, gas prices cheapest in SC
- Lee County sheriff's deputy injured in shootout released from hospital
- Man accused of shooting deputies was out of jail on bond