SCDPS: Eight killed on SC roads over Thanksgiving holiday | News
The South Carolina Department of Public Safety announces a preliminary number of eight people being killed on South Carolina roads during the 2012 Thanksgiving holiday weekend, which ran from Wednesday, November 21 at 6 p.m. until Sunday, November 25 at midnight. Five of the deaths occurred Friday through Sunday.
US routes, SC roads and secondary roads
Seat belt used
Seat belt not used
Seat belt unknown
Seat belt not applicable
2 pedestrians, 1 bicyclist
As of November 25, 744 people have died on South Carolina highways, compared to 766 highway deaths in this same time period in 2011.
Of the 491 motor vehicle occupants who have died in 2012, 285 were not wearing seat belts.
Through midnight November 25, 101 pedestrians, 102 motorcyclists and 13 bicyclists have died on state roads and highways.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- To men spending decades in prison, hope walks on 4 paws
- Shelter overwhelmed after taking in 22 puppies, 10 still available for adoption
- For second straight year, gas prices cheapest in SC
- Lee County sheriff's deputy injured in shootout released from hospital
- Man accused of shooting deputies was out of jail on bond