Recognition of suspect in photo leads police to arrest in weekend robbery | News
SUMTER, SC (WIS)- Sumter Police have arrested a man accused of robbing a convenience store Saturday morning. Officers say someone recognized the man from a surveillance photo of the robbery and called in the tip.
Police arrested 38-year-old John Jeffrey Wilson of Sumter Thursday afternoon. He is charged with armed robbery.
Wilson is accused of robbing the Kangaroo on Broad Street at about 1:15 a.m. Saturday morning. Witnesses told police a man walked into the store and demanded money, while threatening the clerk with the impression that he was armed.
Detectives say someone recognized Wilson in a surveillance photo released earlier in the week and called in the anonymous tip. While being questioned, police say Wilson admitted to the robbery.
Wilson is awaiting a bond hearing at the Sumter-Lee Regional Detention Center.
Copyright 2013 WIS. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- To men spending decades in prison, hope walks on 4 paws
- Shelter overwhelmed after taking in 22 puppies, 10 still available for adoption
- For second straight year, gas prices cheapest in SC
- Lee County sheriff's deputy injured in shootout released from hospital
- Man accused of shooting deputies was out of jail on bond