Sumter among top cities for unmarried moms | News
GREENVILLE, NC (AP) - A new U.S. Census report finds that a Midlands city is among the top cities in the country for its percentage of recent unmarried mothers.
The report says about 36% of all births in the country 2011 were to unmarried women. However, a number of metropolitan areas had considerably higher percentages of unmarried recent moms.
Sumter is listed in the Top 10 with more than six out of 10 births coming to unmarried mothers. Myrtle Beach is fourth with two-thirds of new moms unmarried.
Greenville, North Carolina is No. 2 in the country with 69% of births in 2011 coming to unmarried women.
Tops in the country was Flagstaff, AZ, where three out of four recent mothers were unmarried.
Louisiana, Mississippi and New Mexico were the states with the highest percentages.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- To men spending decades in prison, hope walks on 4 paws
- Shelter overwhelmed after taking in 22 puppies, 10 still available for adoption
- For second straight year, gas prices cheapest in SC
- Lee County sheriff's deputy injured in shootout released from hospital
- Man accused of shooting deputies was out of jail on bond