SC Air National Guard conducting exercises | News
MCENTIRE JOINT NATIONAL GUARD BASE, S.C. (AP) - Fighter jets from McEntire Joint National Guard Base are scheduled to fly an air defense exercise across parts of South Carolina this week.
The South Carolina Air National Guard says its 169th Fighter Wing is conducting an air defense exercise Tuesday near Anderson, Greer and Florence.
Officials say the exercises are done to ensure the South Carolina Air National Guard remains in top form in case it's needed to respond to airborne threats over the United States.
Some South Carolina Guard units have delayed training due to the ongoing government shutdown. Officials say the 169th Fighter Wing is keeping on track with its current schedule as it prepares for an upcoming deployment.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- To men spending decades in prison, hope walks on 4 paws
- Shelter overwhelmed after taking in 22 puppies, 10 still available for adoption
- For second straight year, gas prices cheapest in SC
- Lee County sheriff's deputy injured in shootout released from hospital
- Man accused of shooting deputies was out of jail on bond